smart(8) Call for Testing

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Tue Mar 27 20:11:43 UTC 2018

On Mar 27, 2018 12:23 PM, "Michael Dexter" <editor at callfortesting.org>
wrote:

On 3/27/18 9:45 AM, Miroslav Lachman wrote:

> What is the purpose of this utility and why it should be in base if almost
> everyone will need to write something to do the "real job" or "pkg install
> smartmontools".
>
> Maybe I just don't see something...

Scriptability. smartmontools output is not parsing-friendly and generally,
an operatory only wants four or so key values such as hours, temperature
and a variation on reallocated sectors. This facilitates that and with a
license that would allow its inclusion in

At $WORK we grab all the attributes daily to do heard studies on the
drives. We need little more than what's here for that. But we have
thousands of machines and nobody ever logs into them unless there is a
problem. Doing heard studies is the only way we found to predict failure
and even then it's only weakly so... smartmontools is overkillfor that...

Warner