zfs problems after rebuilding system [SOLVED]

Dimitry Andric dim at FreeBSD.org
Mon Mar 5 12:10:53 UTC 2018

On 3 Mar 2018, at 13:56, Bruce Evans <brde at optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Mar 2018, tech-lists wrote:
>> On 03/03/2018 00:23, Dimitry Andric wrote:
>>> Whether this is due to some sort of BIOS handover trouble, or due to
>>> cheap and/or crappy USB-to-SATA bridges (even with brand WD and Seagate
>>> disks!), I have no idea.  I attempted to debug it at some point, but
>>> a well-placed "sleep 10" was an acceptable workaround... :)
>>
>> That fixed it, thank you again :D
>
> That won't work for the boot drive.
>
> When no boot drive is detected early enough, the kernel goes to the
> mountroot prompt.  That seems to hold a Giant lock which inhibits
> further progress being made.  Sometimes progress can be made by trying
> to mount unmountable partitions on other drives, but this usually goes
> too fast, especially if the USB drive often times out.

What I would like to know, is why our USB stack has such timeout issues
at all.  When I boot Linux on the same type of hardware, I never see USB
timeouts.  They must be doing something right, or maybe they just don't
bother checking some status bits that we are very strict about?

-Dimitry