ZFS backup Q: send/recv and mountpoint property

Dmitry Morozovsky marck at rinet.ru
Sun Jul 22 18:14:19 UTC 2018

Colleagues,

still stuck in compiling stable procedure.

Prerequisites:

- some servers, all on ZFS, with layout such as
machine -> unique pool name, usually 2-letters, say, hm and im

- zfs layouts like

hm/R/${fs}, like
 hm/R
 hm/R/usr
 hm/R/usr/local
 hm/R/var
 hm/R/home
etc, where hm/R has property mountpoint=/ and others just inherit it

- on servers, zfs allows for non-root user to make snapshots, hold, etc, like

Local+Descendent permissions:
        group operator hold,send,snapshot

- zfs send -R [-i pool at prev-snap] pool at now-snap | \
    ssh backupserver 'zfs recv tgpool/B/zfs/srvname'

Problem:

0. on backup (zfs recv) server, I could not
- overwrite mountpoint property (and I'd better avoid it)
- add canmount=off, especially for child filesets, as it's not inherited (which
could be preferred behaviour)

1. after backup server reboot, if special manual tweaks did not have place,
filesets from backup images overwrite backup filesets, render it unuseable

Any hints?

Or did I missed something trivial?

Thanks, as usual, in advance!

--
Sincerely,
[ FreeBSD committer:                                 marck at FreeBSD.org ]