Need help with sysutils/fusefs-smbnetfs

Mahmoud Al-Qudsi mqudsi at neosmart.net
Wed Jan 31 20:20:12 UTC 2018

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 12:31 PM, Mikhail T. <mi+b at aldan.algebra.com> wrote:
> The upstream developer primarily works with Linux -- and is not very
> responsive at any rate. Can any of the FreeBSD's FUSE-developers take a look
> at the port -- the codebase is not very large -- and suggest any
> optimizations?

How does the performance vary with changes to samba_max_rw_block_size?  I only
took a cursory glance at the upstream code (ugh, sourceforge) but it acquires
a mutex to lock the samba context for each loop in read/write.

I could be wrong (never worked with smb code before!) but from what I can see
in the `get_ctx` function, it doesn't seem that the context needs to be shared
at all: it looks like a new context can instead be obtained for each transfer,
(not chunk) eliminating the need to lock and unlock repeatedly in a loop.

Mahmoud Al-Qudsi
NeoSmart Technologies