Academic exercise: trying to recover a corrupted pool

Mateusz Kwiatkowski kwiat at panic.pl
Tue Jan 16 14:03:20 UTC 2018

On 01/08/2018 03:25 PM, Borja Marcos wrote:

> Hi,
>
> ONLY AS AN ACADEMIC EXERCISE, WARNING :)
>
> I have a broken ZFS pool and I’m wondering wether it should be readable. The pool was made with four
> apparently troublesome OCZ SSD drives pulled from other systems. They are connected to a LSI2008 adapter.
>
> The pool was created as a raidz2, so it’s supposed to survive the loss of two drives. It has lost two of them
> and I am unable to import it.
>
> I have lost no useful data, I was using it just for testing. Now it has become an interesting study subject though :)
>
> Any ideas? I have tried to recover even doing the “radical thing” (zdb -Z -AAA -e -p /dev poolname). No success.
>
> Again, I am just curious.
>

> Thanks!

Few years ago I made similar exercise with pool broken by some ZFS on
Linux bug. After many unsuccessful attempts to import the pool I came up
with an idea to read data without importing the pool.
Here's the script: https://gitlab.com/kwiat/zfs-recovery

The code is in no way effective nor beautiful, but I learned a lot about
ZFS when I was working on it. :-)

--
Regards,
Mateusz Kwiatkowski