Dell R710 with PERC H310. GPT issues and hardware raid or ZFS?

Borja Marcos borjam at sarenet.es
Mon Dec 17 08:44:44 UTC 2018

> On 4 Jul 2013, at 04:21, Sean Bruno <sean_bruno at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Some mfi controllers actually have a JBOD option, if it does you'll
>> be able to this controller if not watch out as using the RAID 0 option
>> will almost certainly cause you pain.
>>
>> mps as Jeremy has said is better option.
>>
>>    Regards
>>    Steve
>
> I note that the H310 in a test R420 that I have does indeed have a JBOD
> option.  This presents a disk as /dev/mfisyspdX which is totally
> befuddling.

In my opinion the best option is not to create any kind of volumes (a JBOD “mfisyspd”
is still equivalent to creating a “RAID 0” volume per disk) and rely on the
hw.mfi.allow_cam_disk_passthrough tunable instead.

The "mfisyspd” pseudo devices are not CAM devices.

At least in my case it has worked perfectly for many years. Before that tunable was available
I made a change suggested by Scott Long.

Borja.