Does setuid=on work on ZFS datasets, or is the man page for zfs misleading?

Andriy Gapon avg at FreeBSD.org
Tue Apr 10 05:45:40 UTC 2018

On 06/04/2018 20:42, Stilez wrote:
> I had looked at ACLs before asking. They don't work for this, your info looks
> wrong AFAIK. They only allow inheritance of permissions, not ownership. None of
> the ACL flags and nothing in setfacl man page, says anything about ownership
> inheritance.

That's correct.

> I'm using NFSv4 of it matters, but I'm guessing that's the default
> for ZFS based file hierarchies?

Yes.

> So the question stands - is there any working method to ensure files in a ZFS
> dataset or contained dir have a predetermined owner? Including within ACLs if I
> missed the right page?

My assumption was that the ownership change was not an end goal and there was a
wider context related to access management.
In other words, why do you want to change file ownership unless you want to
change the file's access rights...  In my opinion, Unix file ownership is a part
of Unix file access model.

--
Andriy Gapon