Does setuid=on work on ZFS datasets, or is the man page for zfs misleading?

Andriy Gapon avg at FreeBSD.org
Fri Apr 6 12:31:31 UTC 2018

On 05/04/2018 18:53, Stilez Stilezy wrote:
> I'm trying to use the setuid property in ZFS.
>
> The man pages are a bit conflicted but overall man zfs seems most specific
> and implies the property is valid (man zfs says use setuid=on and it'll
> work, man mount says use -o suiddir but won't work except on UFS).

Please read in the manual what ZFS setuid property means.
By the way, it's on by default, so you would typically turn it off if you don't
want suid binaries.  And, of course, suiddir != setuid and ZFS does not support
it, afaict.

TLDR: yes, setuid works; no, it's not suiddir.

--
Andriy Gapon