mount_smbfs question (re-post)

Erwan Legrand freebsd at erwanlegrand.com
Thu Sep 28 17:08:15 UTC 2017

On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 4:16 PM, Mario Lobo <lobo at bsd.com.br> wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 3:06 PM, Mario Lobo <mlobo at digiart.art.br> wrote:
>> > Since my environment is tottaly surrounded with shares that no longer
>> > accept SMBv1 (Windows, Linux AND FreeBSD servers), so basically in the
>> > end, what I'm really looking for is a confirmation that I'll just have
>> > to dump all Freebsd samba clients because the OS can't deal with SMBv2
>> > or above.
>>
>> Perhaps have a look at implementations of SMB on top of FUSE?
>>
>> http://portsmon.freebsd.org/portoverview.py?category=sysutils&portname=fusefs-smbnetfs
>
> I did. Same problem.
> smbnetfs only works with SMBv1

It is based on libsmbclient, thus it should support SMB2 if smb.conf
allows it. According to the following thread, the client protocol is
resticted to SMB1 by default:

https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2016-November/thread.html#116999

This might be fixed by setting "client max protocol = SMB2" in
smb.conf. ($HOME/.smb/smb.conf in this case?)