mount / unmount and mountcheckdirs()

Edward Napierala trasz at freebsd.org
Fri Sep 15 16:06:12 UTC 2017

> On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 12:31:05PM +0100, Edward Napierala wrote:
> >
> > > On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 11:49:17AM +0100, Edward Napierala wrote:
> >:

> kostikbel at gmail.com
> get
> > > into

> fine, I

> > > mounted ?

> > > This is exactly what is being discussed.

> > > And the .snap is from the /dev/md0 volume, right ?
> > >

> > Yes.
> >

> > > If yes, then this demonstration indeed proves that autofs behaves as
> > > intended on mount.
> > >

> > Exactly.  And, from what I understand, that would break if
> mountcheckdirs()
> > got removed from the mount path.
>
> Even for autofs ?  Don't autofs postpone lookup() completion until the
> mount occurs ?

It does, and that case might work - I'm not sure, but it might.  But what
happens afterwards, after the syscall that triggered the mount completes?
You would still have a shell with cwd in that dir, now covered by another
filesystem.  Autofs doesn't do anything to "lift" the process to the newly
mounted filesystem root.