3D xpoint AKA Optane as ZIL/L2ARC

Paul H freebsd at pkholm.com
Sun Oct 15 07:20:45 UTC 2017

G'day, Mates

I'm not sure to what mailing list this message really belongs too. (
Hardware or this one).

Does anyone done any real world benchmarks of Optane memory with ZFS? It
is new type of memory different from normal DRAM or flash. 32Gb and 16GB
M.2 modules are currently available for < 100 USD. It makes it quite
attractive as small boost for ZFS.  Looking to just a specification
using it as L2ARC does not make much sense, good M.2 SSD will be faster
on random reads. But ZIL is a different story, SSD is not great as ZIL
due to write amplification and fact that you need to TRIM data. XPoint
seems to be performing really well on random small writes. This is type
of load i would expect to see on ZIL drives.

I could couple of pages internet about 3D XPoint and ZFS, but they are
all really amateurish.  Can anyone point me on some more solid testings.

WBR

  Paul