FreeBSD 10.3/11.0 SCSI errors with Symbios Logic SAS3008 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-3

Shiva Bhanujan Shiva.Bhanujan at Quorum.com
Fri Oct 13 02:43:18 UTC 2017

Hello,

I have a FreeBSD 10.3 install in a HVM on XenServer 6.5.  The HBA330 SAS-3 controller is in pcipassthrough mode to the FreeBSD VM.  When I try to access the disks (/dev/da0...) using gpart, I get SCSI errors, like the following:

(da0:mpr0:0:0:0): CAM status: SCSI Status Error
(da0:mpr0:0:0:0): SCSI status: Check Condition
(da0:mpr0:0:0:0): SCSI sense: ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:20,0 (Invalid command operation code)

I get the same errors w/ FreeBSD 11.0 also.

Please note, that these errors don't show up on a Fusion-MPT SAS-2 controller, or a MegaRAID SAS 2208 controller.  Additionally, FreeBSD 10.2 doesn't have any SCSI errors on the HBA330 SAS-3 controller either.

Is there a different version of the mpr driver I should be using?  I haven't checked the differences between the mpr driver in 10.2 vs 10.3 and 11.0.  I do see that there are others who have experienced these issues.  Can somebody please provide me some pointers as to why this is occurring?  Or if there are some driver changes that I might be able to incorporate?

Regards,
Shiva