mount_smbfs question (re-post)

Mario Lobo lobo at bsd.com.br
Mon Oct 2 19:59:52 UTC 2017

> On Thu, 28 Sep 2017 17:48:23 -0300
> Mario Lobo <lobo at bsd.com.br> wrote:

> > > On Thu, 28 Sep 2017 19:08:04 +0200, Erwan Legrand <
> > > freebsd at erwanlegrand.com> wrote:

> > > I'd suggest setting "client min protocol".
> > >                             ^^^
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Ronald.

> > I just tested it!
> >
> > 2 shares. 1 with SMBv1 and 1 with client min protocol=SMBv2
> > They are both SAMBA with FREEBSD.

 [snip]

> > Unless I'm missing some tuning option in smbnetfs for SMBv2 and above,
> > It doesen't work!
> >
> > Thanks,
> >

> One more thing.
>
> If I gear down the second server to SMBv1, I can access it just fine.
>
> --

Well, after wearing my eyes off everywhere I could looking for a solution
to this issue, I came to the conclusion that accessing an SMBv2+ share
with FreeBSD is on a limbo that I can't reach. And it is dormant.

I am a stubborn person so I started looking at the OS source code but so
far it is way beyond me. I can't even make out how it currently works, and
much less
implement two new protocols on top of it. But I'll keep going forward ...

I also can't find anything other than mount_smbfs and smbnetfs that can
access smb shares, and much less integrate with the OS as they do.

As much as it breaks my heart to drop a reliable, fast and stable OS
because of this ONE issue, on my current environment its seems to be my
only choice left.

Thanks to all that tried to help.

--
Mario Lobo