zio_done panic in 10.3

Andriy Gapon avg at FreeBSD.org
Tue Nov 21 20:52:27 UTC 2017

On 21/11/2017 21:30, Shiva Bhanujan wrote:
> it did get compressed to 0.5G - still too big to send via email.  I did send some more debug information by running kgdb on the core file to Andriy, and I'm waiting for any analysis that he might provide.

Yes, kgdb-over-email turned out to be a far more efficient compression :-)
I already have an analysis based on the information provided by Shiva and by
another user who has the same problem and contacted me privately.
I am discussing possible ways to fix the problem with George Wilson who was very
kind to double-check the analysis, complete it and suggest possible fixes.

A short version is that dbuf_prefetch and dbuf_prefetch_indirect_done functions
chain new zio-s under the same parent zio (a completion of one child zio may
create another child zio).  They do it using arc_read which can create either a
logical zio in most cases or a vdev zio for a read from a cache device (2arc).
zio_done() has a check for the completion of a parent zio's children but that
check is not completely safe and can be broken by the pattern that dbuf_prefetch
can create.  So, under some specific circumstances the parent zio may complete
and get destroyed while there is a child zio.

I believe this problem to be rather rare, but there could be configurations and
workloads where it's triggered more often.
The problem does not happen if there are no cache devices.

Andriy Gapon