smbfs and SMB1

rainer at ultra-secure.de rainer at ultra-secure.de
Fri May 19 06:45:39 UTC 2017

Am 2017-05-19 03:40, schrieb Miroslav Lachman:

> I am not suru but I think Samba does not provide CIFS/SMBFS mount
> binaries. There is just ftp-like client.
> FreeBSD is used in networks for filesharing, storage etc. and I feel
> SMB mount is very vital feature.

Microsoft hat advocated for disabling SMBv1 for a long time.

I'm not a Windows expert at all - but I've seen what can be achieved
(from a security point of view) in a network with only Server 2016 and
Windows 10.

I'm not sure even Linux would be much use in such an environment.

But the SMBv1-less world is here - and vendors of Linux-based appliances
are scrambling for solutions.

Like here:
https://community.sophos.com/kb/en-us/126757

(We opened a ticket with them, too)

Apparently, having SMBv1 enabled violates PCI (DSS) compliance.