SMBv1 Deprecation

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Thu Jun 22 21:30:23 UTC 2017

Well, the short answer is...somebody has to do it.
(At this time, I believe that there are two people employed by
 the FreeBSD Foundation to do FreeBSD kernel work.)
The rest of FreeBSD's development is done by volunteers
(some of which do the work for an employer and get permission
 from the employer to upstream the work).
I, for example, do NFS as a hobby and always have, but to be honest,
there aren't many out there as stupid as I am and willing to do this;-)

So, if you have the skills and time, feel free to do an implementation
and, so long it is appropriately licensed (no GPL or similar), I suspect
someone would be willing to work with you to get it into FreeBSD.

If there is an SMBv2 implementation in one of the other BSDen
(NetBSD, OpenBSD,...) the port wouldn't be an immense amount
of work, but there are differences in the VFS and similar that will
need to be dealt with.
Otherwise, you are pretty much implementing it from scratch, using
the SMBv1 code as a starting point.

rick