vnode_pager_generic_getpages_done: I/O read error 5 caused by r318394 (was Re: FreeBSD 11.1-BETA1 Now Available)

Guido Falsi madpilot at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jun 22 20:02:32 UTC 2017

On 06/22/17 19:06, Guido Falsi wrote:
> On 06/22/17 18:38, Warner Losh wrote:

> I'll followup as soon as I have easier use case to reproduce it. I first
> need to revert to an image affected by the problem.

I have made a few more tests.

I am able to trigger this bug easily by running gpart.

I'm testing on a PCEngines APU2 board with SD memory card.

# gpart set -a active -i 1 mmcsd0
active set on mmcsd0s1
# fsck_ffs -n /dev/mmcsd0s1a
** /dev/mmcsd0s1a (NO WRITE)
** Last Mounted on /mnt
** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
** Phase 2 - Check Pathnames
Segmentation fault
# shutdown -r now
/sbin/shutdown: Device not configured

also, if I open another shell I can't perform many other operations
which are not failing in the previous root shell:

 > tail /var/log/messages
/usr/bin/tail: Device not configured.

BTW while testing this multiple times I also had the root shell segfault
while browsing history, so it should be quite easy to reproduce on your
side too. running the gpart set command triggers it every time, with
slightly different bu always disruptive symptoms.

There is a chance it only shows with these embedded systems storage
controllers though.
--
Guido Falsi <madpilot at FreeBSD.org>