Recommended HBA for ZFS, contemporary

geoffroy desvernay dgeo at centrale-marseille.fr
Thu Jan 5 13:51:16 UTC 2017

On 10/19/2016 18:40, Ben RUBSON wrote:

>> On 19 Oct 2016, at 17:19, geoffroy desvernay <dgeo at centrale-marseille.fr> wrote:
>>
>> On 10/19/2016 09:20, Ben RUBSON wrote:
>>> Thank you Rich.
>>>
>>> I saw that the LSI 3008 can be put in IT mode, as with the well known 2008.
>>> Firmware & drivers seem to be well maintained, with a P13 release last month.
>>> 2 good points.
>>>
>>> However I did not found much much user feedback on it, nor recommandations.
>>> There should be no surprise compared to the 2008, but we never know...
>>>
>> Well, I just received one, and it seems complicated for the moment (or I
>> missed something important):
>
> Some of your drives seems to be not correctly detected.
> What "sas3ircu 0 display" returns ?
> Does "geom disk list" correctly shows your disks ?
>
> Firmware seems quite old too. Does it suits the driver version ?
>
> Ben

Thank you Ben and sorry, I missed your response :(

I found the solution (on scsi@) - see
http://marc.info/?l=freebsd-scsi&m=148362244824907&w=2

The sas3008 controller(s) I used were OK, the problem was solved by
low-level-formatting the drives to disable a 'type 2 protection' (don't
ask me more on this I wouldn't be able to explain ;)

Now I have two sas3008 (IT mode) working, and two 'dell H330' in 'HBA
mode' (that seems to be sas3008 chips as well) in production, and never
had problems with them ;)

--
*geoffroy desvernay*
C.R.I - Administration systèmes et réseaux