zpool upgrade instructions aren't complete enough - gpart operation not permitted

Freddie Cash fjwcash at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 16:37:25 UTC 2017

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 1:22 AM, Paul Hargreaves <
paul.hargreaves at technowizardry.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Just upgraded from 10.2 to 11.0.
> As part of that, did zpool upgrade:
>
> root at zfsbackup:~ # zpool upgrade zroot
> This system supports ZFS pool feature flags.
>
> Enabled the following features on 'zroot':
>   sha512
>   skein
>
> If you boot from pool 'zroot', don't forget to update boot code.
> Assuming you use GPT partitioning and da0 is your boot disk
> the following command will do it:
>
>         gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 da0
>
> Ok, I think I’m using GPT partitioning and I think I boot from da0
> (specifically, zpool show shows zroot is da0s1d), but how to tell?

​GPT partitioned disks will have device nodes like da0p1 (meaning partition
1).

MBR partitioned disks will have device nodes like da0s1d (meaning
partitiong d in slice 1).

You can use "gpart show da0" to get more information.

IOW, you have MBR partitioned disks, and should not use the suggested
command as it only applies to GPT partitioned disks.

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash at gmail.com