kqueue/kevent - watching an entire filesystem?

Conrad Meyer cem at freebsd.org
Mon Dec 25 17:41:26 UTC 2017

If you want to watch whole system activity (and not just a single
filesystem), that sounds like audit.  Or its crappy cousin,
filemon(4).  Of course, neither of these options has a kevent-style
interface, and filemon(4) in particular may miss relevant events.

I'm afraid there is nothing better than recursively opening
subdirectories to monitor a tree (even a whole filesystem) with
kqueue/kevent.

Best,
Conrad