zfs birthtimes cannot be set

Heikki Lindholm holin at iki.fi
Sat Aug 26 07:34:16 UTC 2017

Hello list,

man utimes says:
"The access time is set to the value of the first element, and the
modification time is set to the value of the second element. For file
systems that support file birth (creation) times (such as UFS2), the
birth time will be set to the value of the second element if the second
  element is older than the currently set birth time."

On FreeBSD (11.0), I can't set birthtime / crtime on ZFS although files
appear to have it. Is it supposed to work? If not, is there a WONTFIX on
this one for some particular reason? On Solaris, crtimes can be set via
system xattr calls.

Please, cc me as I'm not subscribed to the list.

Regards,
Heikki Lindholm