zfs import from old TXG

Chris Ross cross+freebsd at distal.com
Thu Aug 24 17:40:27 UTC 2017

> On Aug 23, 2017, at 15:27, Chris Ross <cross+freebsd at distal.com> wrote:
>
>> On Aug 23, 2017, at 14:31, Volodymyr Kostyrko <arcade at b1t.name> wrote:
>>> Looking back at this, and trying to recover some data without multi-day clean/restore cycles.  I want to import my pool to an earlier txg.  I used zfs history to log the actions, and am trying to use “zpool import -N [-F] -T 7428 tank”.  With or without a -F argument, I get:
>>>
>>> cannot import 'tank': one or more devices is currently unavailable
>>>
>>> However, zpool import shows all of its devices ONLINE, and I only exported it a short while ago.  Is there something I’m missing that I can provide to proceed with effectively importing an earlier state of this pool?
>>
>> Available transactions can be listed with:
>>
>> zdb -ul <device>
>
>  Using zdb -ul, I see no tag’s around where I was aiming (7428), but I do see three in the 7300’s.  But, trying “zpool import -N -T 7375 tank” produces the same error.  As with the other two txg’s (7378, 7381) I saw.
>
>  Any other ideas, since it looks like “available transaction” isn’t my [only] problem?

  Okay.  Well, I tried dropping to single-user, rebooting off of a CD, and all attempts to “zpool import -T NNNN” give me that same error.  Without any other ideas, I’m going to punt back to “nuke it from orbit” and restore the full backup again.  Takes 40+ hours, so was hoping to avoid it with some trickery, but, a recoverable situation.

  Thanks.

                                       - Chris