State of FUSE on FreeBSD

Nikolaus Rath Nikolaus at rath.org
Thu Aug 3 11:38:38 UTC 2017

Hello,

I am the upstream maintainer of libfuse. I'd like to refresh / improve
the FreeBSD support in libfuse. My goal is for libfuse not to require
any FreeBSD specific patches.

After taking a look at
https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd/tree/master/sbin/mount_fusefs,
https://svn.freebsd.org/ports/head/sysutils/fusefs-libs/, and
https://github.com/libfuse/libfuse/issues/173, it seems to me that:

- A lot of upstream code that was actually intended to support FreeBSD
  is actually patched out when libfuse is installed via ports.

- The mount.fusefs and fusermount binaries are not installed from
  libfuse at all, and are instead provided by a "sysutils/fusefs-libs"
  package(?)

- Some additional patches are necessary to get libfuse to work.

Is that correct so far, or am I looking at the wrong place?

If so, my tentative plan would be to:

- Not build fusermount and mount.fusefs on FreeBSD at all. This would
  allow getting rid of mount_bsd.c (and the corresponding patch)
  completely.

- Integrate the helper.c patch upstream using #ifdefs

- As far as I can tell, the mount_util.[ch] patch is a no-op that should
  be dropped anyway.

Personally, I don't use FreeBSD and I don't have an easy way to test on
FreeBSD either. So I would appreciate any input.

Best,
-Nikolaus

--
GPG Fingerprint: ED31 791B 2C5C 1613 AF38 8B8A D113 FCAC 3C4E 599F