ZFS - NFS server for VMware ESXi issues

Marek Salwerowicz marek.salwerowicz at misal.pl
Sun Oct 23 18:43:23 UTC 2016

Hi Rick,

W dniu 2016-10-21 o 23:47, Rick Macklem pisze:

> Btw, about the only area of the NFS server that might need tuning is
> the DRC and
> this doesn't suggest that. If you "nfsstat -e -s" on the server and
> see large #s for
> the last line under "Server Cache Stats:" there are tunables that can
> be used.
> I'd also suggest you capture the output of "ps axHl" on the server
> when it happens
> again, which tells you what all the nfsd threads are up to.

I checked the
#ps axHL | grep nfs
now:
http://pastebin.com/x9LTN0nn

it looks like I have ~64 threads of nfs each cosuming ~one hour of CPU time.

That corresponds to:
# ps axl | grep nfs
UID   PID  PPID CPU PRI NI   VSZ   RSS MWCHAN   STAT TT         TIME COMMAN
  0  1948     1   0  28  0 24632  5832 select   Is    -      0:00.10
nfsd: master (nfsd)
  0  1949  1948   0  24  0 12344  4132 rpcsvc   I     -     66:56.42
nfsd: server (nfsd)

is it OK if threads are not being "recuperated" ?

The NFS  statistics are as follows:
# nfsstat -e -s

Server Info:
   Getattr   Setattr    Lookup  Readlink      Read     Write Create
Remove
     97818       311    107539         0  12018551  25266454 858       567
    Rename      Link   Symlink     Mkdir     Rmdir   Readdir RdirPlus
Access
       296         0         0         0         0         0 427      7216
     Mknod    Fsstat    Fsinfo  PathConf    Commit   LookupP SetClId
SetClIdCf
         0      2232         0         0         0         0 0         0
      Open  OpenAttr OpenDwnGr  OpenCfrm DelePurge   DeleRet GetFH      Lock
         0         0         0         0         0         0 0         0
     LockT     LockU     Close    Verify   NVerify     PutFH PutPubFH
PutRootFH
         0         0         0         0         0         0 0         0
     Renew RestoreFH    SaveFH   Secinfo RelLckOwn  V4Create
         0         0         0         0         0         0
Server:
Retfailed    Faults   Clients
         0         0         0
OpenOwner     Opens LockOwner     Locks    Delegs
         0         0         0         0         0
Server Cache Stats:
    Inprog      Idem  Non-idem    Misses CacheSize   TCPPeak
         0         0         0  37502946        94       592

Is there any way I could decreas number of misses ?

The server is up now for almost three days.

Thanks for any hints !

Marek