zfs receive leads to a stuck server

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Thu Nov 3 22:56:00 UTC 2016

> Am 01.10.2016 um 18:02 schrieb Rainer Duffner <rainer at ultra-secure.de>:
>
> Hi,
>
> I posted this before, but I didn’t really get an answer and I’m still looking for ways to debug this.
>
> I have to servers (HP DL 380 Gen8, 192 GB RAM, 6C CPU).
> I’ve outfitted them with HP’s H22x cards (really OEMed 9207-8x, three altogether) that I recently cross-flashed to LSI’s latest firmware.

And it turns out, using anything branded by HP is just asking for ulcers and headaches.

We replaced said HBAs with LSI^WAvago^WBroadcom HBAs - and everything started working as it should.
There are still hangs at 03:00 and 04:00 (when the snapshots that got deleted on the master get deleted on the slave) - but that's not really a problem because they are much shorter than before and nobody is using the system at that time.

So, while the H22x-cards are „close enough to a LSI2308-based card so that the driver actually thinks it’s a 2308 - they are in fact not.

Also, with the original LSI cards, you can use LSI’s FreeBSD flash utility and have a far better life overall.