ZFS performance bottlenecks: CPU or RAM or anything else?

Alex Tutubalin lexa at lexa.ru
Tue May 17 19:28:10 UTC 2016

> If you're already planning for multiple simultaneous drive failures,
> "economical" isn't really a factor, is it? Those disks have to get
> replaced regardless of the redundancy scheme you assign to them. ;)

I do not plan failures, but there always a chance of bad drive model.
I've survived 3-Tb Seagates without data loss. It was not possible in my
case without RAID6 (hardware).

> Speaking strictly about performance, RAIDZ performance is pretty much
> fixed,

Anyway, my thread-starting question is different:

I see great performance difference on same pool connected to different
CPU/ram combo.
I do not know what caused this difference: CPU speed, RAM bandwidth, or
RAM latency.

May be someone in this list has benchmarked ZFS RAIDZ for performance
and knows what is the bottleneck?

Alex Tutubalin