State of native encryption in ZFS

Thomas Zander riggs at freebsd.org
Sat May 14 13:02:09 UTC 2016

On 14 May 2016 at 14:43, Michael Jung <mikej at mikej.com> wrote:
> On 2016-05-14 04:54, Ruslan Yakauleu wrote:
>>
>> Hi all!
>>
>> I wish to know somethign new about native encryption in ZFS for FreeBSD.
>> Any works in this direction are conducted?
>
> I have been using encryption under ZFS for several years without any issue.

Op was probably referring to encryption being integrated into the ZFS
data pipeline, not on top of geli/gdbe:
http://open-zfs.org/wiki/Projects#Platform_agnostic_encryption_support

In Oracle Solaris this is available, see
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/servers-storage-admin/manage-zfs-encryption-1715034.html

IIRC this work has started before Oracle took over Sun, but it has not
been open sourced yet.

I'd be very surprised to see something like this hit the tree anytime soon.

Best regards
Riggs