Unstable NFS on recent CURRENT

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Tue Mar 8 02:55:58 UTC 2016

Paul Mather (forwarded by Ronald Klop) wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Mar 2016 02:57:03 +0100, Paul Mather <paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
> wrote:
>
> > On my BeagleBone Black running 11-CURRENT (r296162) lately I have been
> > having trouble with NFS.  I have been doing a buildworld and buildkernel
> > with /usr/src and /usr/obj mounted via NFS.  Recently, this process has
> > resulted in the buildworld failing at some point, with a variety of
> > errors (Segmentation fault; Permission denied; etc.).  Even a "ls -alR"
> > of /usr/src doesn't manage to complete.  It errors out thus:
> >
> > =====
> > [[...]]
> > total 0
> > ls: ./.svn/pristine/fe: Permission denied
> >
> > ./.svn/pristine/ff:
> > total 0
> > ls: ./.svn/pristine/ff: Permission denied
> > ls: fts_read: Permission denied
> > =====
> >
> > On the console, I get the following:
> >
> > newnfs: server 'chumby.chumby.lan' error: fileid changed. fsid
> > 94790777:a4385de: expected fileid 0x4, got 0x2. (BROKEN NFS SERVER OR
> > MIDDLEWARE)
> >

> > I am using a FreeBSD/amd64 10.3-PRERELEASE (r296412) as the NFS server.
> > On the BeagleBone Black, I am mounting /usr/src and /usr/obj via
> > /etc/fstab as follows:
> >
> > chumby.chumby.lan:/build/src/head /usr/src nfs rw,nfsv4 0 0
> > chumby.chumby.lan:/build/obj/bbb /usr/obj nfs rw,nfsv4 0 0
> >

> > /build/src/head and /build/obj/bbb are both ZFS file systems.

Is it possible that a ZFS file system has gotten to the point where the
i-node# exceeds 32bits? ZFS does support more than 32bits for i-node#s,
but FreeBSD does not (it truncates to the low order 32bits).
I know diddly about ZFS, so I don't know if you actually have to create
more than 4billion files to get the i-node# to exceed 32bits or ???

There has been work done on making ino_t 64bits, but it hasn't made it
into FreeBSD-current and I have no idea when it might.

If you could try a build on newly created file systems (or UFS ones
instead of ZFS), that would tell you if the above might be the problem.

rick