The small installations network filesystem and users.

Gerrit Kühn gerrit.kuehn at aei.mpg.de
Tue Jun 21 06:05:28 UTC 2016

On Mon, 20 Jun 2016 22:00:31 -0400 (EDT) Daniel Eischen
<deischen at freebsd.org> wrote about Re: The small installations network
filesystem and users.:

DE> We should support LDAP client out of the box, in base.  What
DE> sucks now is that we need 3 packages (plus their dependencies)
DE> and multiple config files for ldap:
DE>
DE>    pam_ldap
DE>    nss_ldap
DE>    openldap-client

I only have to install/config ldap-clients every now and then, but I would
also strongly favour a more "integrated" setup (if that requires having it
in base is a different question, though). A few weeks ago I used
nss-pam-ldapd instead of pam_ldap and nss_ldap for the first time, and it
appeared to work with a bit less of a hassle for me (otoh, I don't do any
funky things here, I just need a replacement for what we did with NIS
something like 20 years ago).

cu
  Gerrit