ZFS bug: zpool expandz says 16.0E, clearly wrong

Borja Marcos borjam at sarenet.es
Thu Jan 28 10:39:10 UTC 2016

> On 26 Jan 2016, at 17:17, Marie Helene Kvello-Aune <marieheleneka at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I've stumbled across a curiosity with my zpool. The command 'zpool list'
> states that the EXPANDZ property/value is 16.0E. This is clearly incorrect.
> :)

Or not, maybe your encryption+compression has triggered a Shannon Singularity! ;)

> The pool consist of a single RaidZ2 vdev of 6 drives, and two cache drives.
> No log device. Executing 'zpool list -v' shows that each member of the
> RaidZ2 has an 'EXPANDZ' value of '-', as expected. But the RaidZ2 itself,
> and the pool, has a EXPANDZ value of 16.0E.

Now, seriously.  I’ve seen odd size reports for cache drives before. Can you try running “zdb” and
see where the wrong size is reported?

Maybe detaching and reattaching the cache drives from the pool might help, in case something related
to the cache drives is creating the confusion.

Borja.