Restore only several files from ZFS snapshot without creating copy of them?

Lev Serebryakov lev at FreeBSD.org
Sat Jan 9 23:38:22 UTC 2016

Hello FreeBSD,

   I have a ZFS filesystem, which have daily snapshots. User removed several
multi-gigabyte files by accident and need to get them back. These files are
present in old daily snapshots, allright. But as far as I understnad, if I
do

 cp /fs/.zfs/snapshots/old-snapshot/file /fs/file

   I got TWO copies of this file (one in live filesystem and future snapshots
and other one in old snapshots). As files in question are multi-gigabyte
(about 100G alltogether) I don't want such duplication (dedup is turned off,
as it is very memory-consuming).

 Is it possible to restore these files without such data duplication?

 I could not rollback whole FS to old snapshot, as here was other changes to
it after files removal.

--
Best regards,
 Lev                          mailto:lev at FreeBSD.org