[Gluster-devel] FreeBSD port of GlusterFS racks up a lot of CPU usage

Xavier Hernandez xhernandez at datalab.es
Fri Jan 8 08:11:46 UTC 2016

On 08/01/16 05:42, Raghavendra G wrote:
> Sorry for the delayed reply. Had missed out this mail. Please find my
> comments inlined.
>
> On Thu, Dec 31, 2015 at 4:56 AM, Rick Macklem <rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
> <mailto:rmacklem at uoguelph.ca>> wrote:
>
>     Jordan Hubbard wrote:
>     >
>     > > On Dec 30, 2015, at 2:31 AM, Niels de Vos <ndevos at redhat.com <mailto:ndevos at redhat.com>> wrote:
>     > >
>     > >> I'm guessing that Linux uses the event-epoll stuff instead of event-poll,
>     > >> so it wouldn't exhibit this. Is that correct?
>     > >
>     > > Well, both. most (if not all) Linux builds will use event-poll. But,
>     > > that calls epoll_wait() with a timeout of 1 millisecond as well.
>     > >
>     > >> Thanks for any information on this, rick
>     > >> ps: I am tempted to just crank the timeout of 1msec up to 10 or 20msec.
>     > >
>     > > Yes, that is probably what I would do too. And have both poll functions
>     > > use the same timeout, have it defined in libglusterfs/src/event.h. We
>     > > could make it a configurable option too, but I do not think it is very
>     > > useful to have.
>     >
>     > I guess this begs the question - what’s the actual purpose of polling for an
>     > event with a 1 millisecond timeout?  If it was some sort of heartbeat check,
>     > one might imagine that would be better served by a timer with nothing close
>     > to 1 millisecond as an interval (that would be one seriously aggressive
>     > heartbeat) and if filesystem events are incoming that glusterfs needs to
>     > respond to, why timeout at all?
>     >
>     If I understand the code (I probably don't) the timeout allows the loop
>     to call a function that may add new fd's to be polled. (If I'm right,
>     the new ones might not get serviced.)
>

> Yes, that's correct. Since in poll we pass the fds to be polled in an
> array as an argument, the only place where we can add/remove fds to be
> polled is at the time we call poll sycall. To make adding/removing fds
> from polling to be more responsive, poll timeouts "frequently enough".
> The trade-off we are considering here is between:
>
> 1. Number of calls to poll
>             vs
> 2. Responsiveness of adding/removing a new fd from polling.
>
> For clients, there is not much change of the list of fds that are
> polled. However, for bricks/server this list can vary frequently as new
> clients are connected/disconnected.
>
> Since epoll provides a way to add new fds for polling while an
> epoll_wait is in progress (unlike poll), the timeout of epoll_wait is
> infinite. Also note that on systems where both epoll and poll are
> available, epoll is preferred over poll.

I don't know anything about gluster's poll implementation so I may be
totally wrong, but would it be possible to use an eventfd (or a pipe if
eventfd is not supported) to signal the need to add more file
descriptors to the poll call ?

The poll call should listen on this new fd. When we need to change the
fd list, we should simply write to the eventfd or pipe from another
thread. This will cause the poll call to return and we will be able to
change the fd list without having a short timeout nor having to decide
on any trade-off.

Just an idea...

Xavi