Monitoring FS changes

Mark Felder feld at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jan 3 21:47:33 UTC 2016

On Sun, Jan 3, 2016, at 15:36, Jordan Hubbard wrote:

> I think we can probably all agree that Linux inotify wouldn’t be worth
> the trouble.  From the wikipedia page:

Just talk to Bryan Cantrill if you want to know why we should avoid
inotify at all costs. He had to work on mapping it to FEN on SmartOS and
he discovered a world of hurt in the process. They're allegedly stuck
with the broken implementation of inotify now because Linus doesn't want
KBI breakage. Not to say we couldn't provide a compatibility shim so
inotify things can compile on FreeBSD, but it might be wise to have
something else that works better. Not sure if we really should reinvent
the wheel, but I have zero clue how FSEvents or FEN scale.

> Assuming there’s interest, I could potentially see throwing some
> engineering effort into this.
>
> - Jordan

I would love to see this happen in the near future. It is *the* reason
Dropbox hasn't released a FreeBSD-native client last I checked. I know
that Plex would use it if it was available. There's a lot of cool things
ripe for porting if we only had a mechanism...

--
  Mark Felder
  ports-secteam member