silly write caching in nfs3

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Sat Feb 27 04:00:50 UTC 2016

Bruce Evans wrote:
> nfs3 is slower than in old versions of FreeBSD.  I debugged one of the
> reasons today.
>
> Writes have apparently always done silly caching.  Typical behaviour
> is for iozone writing a 512MB file where the file fits in the buffer
> cache/VMIO.  The write is cached perfectly.  But then when nfs_open()
> reeopens the file, it calls vinvalbuf() to discard all of the cached
> data.  Thus nfs write caching usually discards useful older data to
> make space for newer data that will never be never used (unless the
> file is opened r/w and read using the same fd (and is not accessed
> for a setattr or advlock operation -- these call vinvalbuf() too, if
> NMODIFIED)).  The discarding may be delayed for a long time.  Then
> keeping the useless data causes even more older data to be discarded.
> Discarding it on close would at least prevent further loss.  It would
> have to be committed on close before discarding it of course.
> Committing it on close does some good things even without discarding
> there, and in oldnfs it gives a bug that prevents discaring in open --
> see below.
>
> nfs_open() does the discarding for different reasons in the NMODIFIED
> and !NMODIFIED cases.  In the NMODIFED case, it discard unconditionally.
> This case can be avoided by fsync() before close or setting the sysctl
> to commit in close.  iozone does he fsync().  This helps in oldnfs but
> not in newfs.  With it, iozone on newfs now behaves like it did on oldnfs
> 10-20 years ago.  Something (perhaps just the timestamp bugs discussed
> later) "fixed" the discarding on oldnfs 5-10 years ago.
>
> I think not committing in close is supposed to be an optimization, but
> it is actually a pessimization for my kernel build tests (with object
> files on nfs, which I normally avoid).  Builds certainly have to reopen
> files after writing them, to link them and perhaps to install them.
> This causes the discarding.  My kernel build tests also do a lot of
> utimes() calls which cause the discarding before commit-on-close can
> avoid the above cause for it it by clearing NMODIFIED.  Enabling
> commit-on-close gives a small optimisation with oldnfs by avoiding all
> of the discarding except for utimes().  It reduces read RPCs by about
> 25% without increasing write RPCs or real time.  It decreases real time
> by a few percent.
>
> The other reason for discarding is because the timestamps changed -- you
> just wrote them, so the timestamps should have changed.  Different bugs
> in comparing the timestamps gave different misbehaviours.

You could easily test to see if second-resolution timestamps make a
difference by redefining the NFS_TIMESPEC_COMPARE() macro
{ in sys/fs/nfsclient/nfsnode.h } so that it only compares the
tv_sec field and not the tv_nsec field.
--> Then the client would only think the mtime has changed when tv_sec
    changes.

rick