ZFS full system backup hoses the backup host.

Karli Sjöberg karli.sjoberg at slu.se
Fri Feb 26 05:11:34 UTC 2016

Den 25 feb. 2016 9:58 em skrev Zaphod Beeblebrox <zbeeble at gmail.com>:

> This violated POLA for me.  I backed up a host u

This violated POLA for me.  I backed up a host using:

time zfs send -vRI @backup-1-e zroot at backup-1-f | ssh backuphost "zfs
receive -vFud zroot/backup/host"

Only to find that the backup host (a week later) failed to reboot?  The
problem?  Well... -u on receive marks the filesystem as unmounted only
"right now" not "next reboot" and -R on send implies -p (send dataset
attributes) and...

... zroot/ROOT/default mountpoint=/ (among others).

The only hackish way to fix this I see is to have a list of mountpoints to
correct --- which is partially what I'm trying to avoid by using -R --- I
just want the whole thing backed up.

What have other people done to get around this and/or can we either put in
an "ignore properties" on receive flag or a -R on send that doesn't send
them?