FreeBSD-Ceph: Jenkins build is back to normal : ceph-master #70

Willem Jan Withagen wjw at digiware.nl
Mon Dec 5 16:19:19 UTC 2016

Hi,

It been just a bit more than 1 year ago I started this undertaking:
	Ceph on FreeBSD.
So as sort as anniversary I'm sort of pleased to say that quite a lot of
the code in Ceph/ceph now actually builds/runs/tests according the
testset that comes with the repo.
(And tonight is sort of Dutch pre-Xmas: Sinterklaas, and we give away
presents. :D )

What I have not looked into are RBD, CephFS and fuse.
 * RBD has 2 sides: libRBD which is largely just userspace code.
   Porting that will not be a major undertaking. Kernel RBD might be
   possible, but then with largely different code.(more based on ggated)
 * CephFS and fuse are  still uncharted territory so I'll have to see
   what is going to happen there.

The code has not been stress tested at all. Like I said: it gets thru
the testset. But it requires ZFS and some hand holding. Certainly
ceph-disk will not do all things it does on Linux. So most/all of the
setup needs to be done with care and double checking.

Building a FreeBSD package is in the works, but I've yet to learn how to
get the embedded Python parts installed in a way that they work.
And some tweaks are needed to DIY.

For those interested, I've started Jenkins to build a FreeBSD version
once per day from master.... The results are public for everybody.