Recommended HBA for ZFS, contemporary

Rich rincebrain at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 09:22:29 UTC 2016

The reason they don't provide a source is that Megarec is one of those
tools that is theoretically only provided to OEMs or people who sign
contracts with LSI (AFAIK), but other than that, the other tools are all
readily available from LSI's site. (SAS2IRCU also used to be similarly hard
to find, but they've fortunately stopped that.)

I've just got my own FreeDOS image with sas2flsh, megarec for DOS, and
megacli, and it works perfectly fine with those instructions. If it makes
you itchy, cut your own FreeDOS image and lob those binaries from LSI's
site and $OTHER_SOURCE for megarec and then go to town.

(You don't need megarec for crossflashing between IR/IT on an HBA, though,
that's solely for when you're convincing an "actual" RAID card that it's
just a dumb HBA.)

- Rich