Recommended HBA for ZFS, contemporary

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Mon Aug 22 18:51:25 UTC 2016

> On Aug 22, 2016, at 2:45 PM, Karl Denninger <karl at denninger.net> wrote:
>
> On 8/22/2016 13:38, Mike wrote:

>>> It's (slightly) faster, provided you don't turn on any of the other
>>> stuff (which is always dumb with these adapters.)
>> Does it come with the HBA board(s), needs to be purchased or downloaded
>> separately?
> I've never gotten a card with it on it; I've always had to flash it.
> Flashing these cards is a bit of a highwire act and can brick them, but
> I've never had it happen myself.  With that said my real reason to flash
> all of mine is to have all of them on the same firmware just so I can
> eliminate that as a possible contributor to problems if one starts
> acting up and the others are not.  It's more of a "good practice" thing
> than a need IMHO; it's not a lot of fun to try to run down a problem
> only to find out after much hair has been pulled out of one's own head
> that the problem is bad firmware on a board!
>> Total noob here who wants to move my ZFS server disks off the
>> motherboard SATA ports.  :)

This is all a bit crazy.  Is the LSI series of HBAs really the only choice
outside of onboard controllers?  It seems like they are troublesome, support
is spotty, and this whole flashing process gives me nightmares.

Also personally, with the few boards I’ve seen with built-in LSI adapters
have always been a little wonky compared to their non-LSI counterparts.

Is this all just the end-result of LSI basically buying up everyone?

Charles