Recommended HBA for ZFS, contemporary

Freddie Cash fjwcash at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 16:16:18 UTC 2016

On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 9:08 AM, Dmitry Morozovsky <marck at rinet.ru> wrote:

> Dear colleagues,
>
> what is the list of preferred disk controllers to build storage server, say
> 12-24 amd more 3.5" disks?  Not too much IOPS are expected, and some could
> be
> mitigated with L2ARC with only metadata cached, I suppose.
>
> Two usage schemes are file server for big files (mostly cold storage) and
> backup/surveillance server (constant stream writes, occasional random
> reads)
>
> Any hints? Thanks!

​We've had great experience with LSI (now Avago) 9211-8i and 9211-8e
controllers.  These use the older LSI2008 chipset, fully supported by the
mps(4) driver under FreeBSD 9+.

We use these in 24-bay, 4U SuperMicro chassis with a local motherboard
(all-in-one server).  And in multi-chassis setups with 90+ hard drives (2U
SuperMicro chassis with the motherboard and HBAs connected to 4U SuperMicro
JBOD chassis).

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash at gmail.com