HAST + ZFS + NFS + CARP

Julien Cigar julien at perdition.city
Thu Aug 11 11:19:25 UTC 2016

On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 12:15:39PM +0200, Julien Cigar wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 11:24:40AM +0200, Borja Marcos wrote:
> >
> > > On 11 Aug 2016, at 11:10, Julien Cigar <julien at perdition.city> wrote:
> > >
> > > As I said in a previous post I tested the zfs send/receive approach (with
> > > zrep) and it works (more or less) perfectly.. so I concur in all what you
> > > said, especially about off-site replicate and synchronous replication.
> > >
> > > Out of curiosity I'm also testing a ZFS + iSCSI + CARP at the moment,
> > > I'm in the early tests, haven't done any heavy writes yet, but ATM it
> > > works as expected, I havent' managed to corrupt the zpool.
> >
> > I must be too old school, but I don’t quite like the idea of using an essentially unreliable transport
> > (Ethernet) for low-level filesystem operations.
> >
> > In case something went wrong, that approach could risk corrupting a pool. Although, frankly,

Now I'm thinking of the following scenario:
- filer1 is the MASTER, filer2 the BACKUP
- on filer1 a zpool data mirror over loc1, loc2, rem1, rem2 (where rem1
and rem2 are iSCSI disks)
- the pool is mounted on MASTER

Now imagine that the replication interface corrupts packets silently,
but data are still written on rem1 and rem2. Does ZFS will detect
immediately that written blocks on rem1 and rem2 are corrupted?