CEPH + FreeBSD

Willem Jan Withagen wjw at digiware.nl
Wed Aug 10 11:50:48 UTC 2016

On 10-8-2016 07:57, Jordan Hubbard wrote:

>> On Aug 5, 2016, at 2:47 AM, Willem Jan Withagen <wjw at digiware.nl
>> <mailto:wjw at digiware.nl>> wrote:
>>
>> Biggest thing to get working for me ATM is ceph-disk, because that will
>> get things to start installing. Making it packageble, and something for
>> other to start playing with. And it is only going to work out if people
>> start using it.
>
> Hi Willem,
>
> Those seem like reasonable priorities to me.  I would even say that the
> port is the *first* priority since it gives interested parties a quick
> way to bootstrap the ceph port on FreeBSD (IIRC, the build process
> itself is a little arcane) and start checking it out.  I would also say
> that ceps-disk is the right place to start since it’s a fairly low-level
> place in the stack.

Jordan,

Do agree with all of that.

I would not call building arcane, but convoluted. That in itself does
not make it less fun. The merge to CMake has made things a lot better.
But you have to know what parts work and which don't.

Packaging is next on my list once I've ironed out most of the bugs in
signaling and process termination. ceph-disk is so loaded with all low
level linuxisms that I'm contemplating ripping out the innards and build
a ceph-disk-freebsd for the time being. As not te get distracted by all
this Linux mojo.
Especially since the only store supported atm. is filestore.

--WjW