How to speed up slow zpool scrub?

Brandon J. Wandersee brandon.wandersee at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 19:59:26 UTC 2016

krad writes:

> That memory requirement really depends on your work load. I have run small
> boxes with 2gb and zfs and they ran fine. They weren't doing filer or
> desktop roles though I could get away with fairly easily. Having said that
> I wouldn't build a machine now with less than 16gb unless it was very
> special circumstances.

Both the FreeNAS documentation and community make some pretty strong
recommendations, but last time I checked their docs they admitted their
recommendations were aimed more at 100%-uptime professional use cases
than casual, personal use cases. Their ECC RAM recommendation also came
with a qualification: basically, "If you can't afford it, and downtime
to restore a backup is a minor inconvenience, don't worry about it."

At this point time, if you're buying all new parts for a DIY storage
project, 16Gb of decent non-ECC RAM is likely to be your smallest
expense. But if you just want to get some light use out of a spare
motherboard at home, less RAM is probably fine. Not necessarily a great
idea, but not a bad one either.

--

::  Brandon J. Wandersee
::  brandon.wandersee at gmail.com
::  'The best design is as little design as possible.'