Add NFSv3 tree root to mountd

alex.burlyga.ietf alex.burlyga.ietf alex.burlyga.ietf at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 14:28:32 UTC 2016

On Apr 23, 2016 04:51, "Rick Macklem" <rmacklem at uoguelph.ca> wrote:

> Brian Mueller wrote:
> > Similar to mountd's ability to specify the NFSv4 tree root via the V4:
line
> > in the exports file, I would like to add the ability to specify a NFSv3
tree
> > root.  The goal to have the same exported path for both the V3 and V4.
If
> > you have exports file like the following:
> >
> > /foo/bar
> > V3: /foo/bar
> > V4: /foo/bar
> >
> > NFS clients would mount /foo/bar by running
> >
> > mount -t nfs -o ver=3 server:/ /mnt/v3
> > mount -t nfs -o ver=4 server:/ /mnt/v4
> >
> > Without the change, the NFS client would need to specify different
paths for
> > v3 and v4
> >
> > mount -t nfs -o ver=3 server:/foo/bar /mnt/v3
> > mount -t nfs -o ver=4 server:/ /mnt/v4
> >
> > Feedback appreciated.  If there aren't any objections with
incorporating this
> > change into FreeBSD, I will start working on the changes to mountd.
> >
> Basically I assume you are planning on using the V3 "/foo/bar" as a
prefix that
> is prepended to the path when a Mount RPC request arrives. I, personally,
don't
> see a problem with this, assuming that things still work the same when
the "V3"
> line isn't in /etc/exports.
> A couple of comments:
> - Since NFSv3 doesn't follow server mounts, the results of a V3 mount
will still
>   be different than NFSv4 unless there is only one file system under
"/foo/bar".
>   --> Maybe adding this will just add to the confusion already present
w.r.t. the
>       differences between NFSv3 and NFSv4? (Falsely giving the impression
that
>       adding the "V3" line somehow makes them the same?)
Agreed, also when testing -actual option on netapp filers(maybe that's the
way to go?) we run into problems with some automounters. Quick look at the
current freebsd, Linux, and Mac OS X does not reveal any problems, perhaps
it was some exotic ones like AIX? Also for v3 adding command line option
that make all exports relative to that path, ala webnfs, would be simpler
way to go?

> - In case you haven't looked at it, mountd.c is a beast. You'll have fun
adding
>   this change to it.
Doing command line option or adding another export option I think is
simpler way.