ZFS pool with a large number of filesystems

Tenzin W. Lhakhang tenzin.lhakhang at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 01:38:20 UTC 2016

The most I have seen is approximately 10,000.

The performance isn't too bad at that scale.  The clone fs metadata becomes a bit costly.  I seen pretty deep nesting into the zfs dataset chains on certain server types; dataset clone snap clone snap chains going about 30 levels.

Note:  we are running zfs on illumos (Smartos)

General system specs are:  e5-26[89]0v2,256gb ram, 1-2 ZIL and ssd or spinning with 4-6 ssd cache drives.

Tenzin

Sent from my iPhone