Switching from MFI to MRSAS

Tim Gustafson tjg at ucsc.edu
Wed Sep 23 15:55:55 UTC 2015

> Different driver for different LSI Chipsets

That's not what the man page says.  The man page says:

"Older MegaRAID controllers are supported by mfi(4) and will not work
with mrsas, but both the mfi(4) and mrsas drivers can detect and
manage the LSI MegaRAID SAS 2208/2308/3008/3108 series of
controllers."

And goes on to say:

"The device.hints(5) option is provided to tune the mrsas driver's
behavior for LSI MegaRAID SAS 2208/2308/3008/3108 controllers.  By
default, the mfi(4) driver will detect these controllers.  See the
PRIORITY section to know more about driver priority for MR-Fusion
devices.  mrsas will provide a priority of (-30) (between
BUS_PROBE_DEFAULT and BUS_PROBE_LOW_PRIORITY) at probe call for device
id's 0x005B, 0x005D, and 0x005F so that mrsas does not take control of
these devices without user intervention."

The FreeBSD hardware support page specifically says that the "mrsas"
driver will handle the Dell PERC H330 controller (which is what I
have):

https://www.freebsd.org/relnotes/CURRENT/hardware/support.html

So that's what I'm asking about.  I have a newer card, which according
to the man page is supported by the mrsas driver.  So my question is,
if I "flip the switch" so that the mrsas driver takes over, will
everything "just" work, or will I need to re-format my disks because
the "mfi" driver configures the disks in a way that is somehow
incompatible with the "mrsas" driver.

--

Tim Gustafson
tjg at ucsc.edu