Name/label/id metadata: how do I make it go away

Chris Stankevitz chris at stankevitz.com
Tue Sep 22 06:10:41 UTC 2015

Warren/Freddie,

Thank you for your replies.

On 9/21/15 8:41 PM, Warren Block wrote:
>> - gpt id
>
> A system-assigned ID in the GPT metadata.  Requires GPT partitioning.

>> I have a zfs pool of "entire disks".  "zpool status" shows some disks
>> with their daX name (which I prefer) and some with a hideously ugly
>> name such as DISK-%20%20%20%20%20-WD-WMC4NOH1ASDF
>
> Disable those labels with kern.geom.label.gptid.enable="0" in
> /boot/loader.conf.

Combining your two statements quoted above, I believe I can conclude
that my ZFS "whole disk" drives must have some remnants of GPT left over
from their previous lives (namely the system-assigned ID in the GPT
metadata).

Surprisingly, these apparently GPT-supplied labels appear to "go away"
when I issue a "glabel stop".  I would not expect this given that Warren
explained that glabels (whose metadata are stored at the end of the
device and completely outside the virtual device) are not the same as
GPT labels (whose metadata are stored within the device on the GPT
metadata).

I believe one of the following must be true:

1. It is possible to use "glabel stop" to disable a "GPT system-assigned
ID" -- even though glabel is a tool for manipulating another style of
labels.

2. "glabel stop" only affects glabels.  In my case my drives must
contain "glables" and not "GPT system-assigned IDs" as Warren guessed.

3. I misunderstood and glabels/GPS system-assigned IDs are really the
same thing.

Thank you again,

Chris