CEPH + FreeBSD

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Wed Sep 9 12:28:44 UTC 2015

Rakshith Venkatesh wrote:
> If there is a need to support cifs along with NFS then locking surely is
> needed to maintain data sanity and avoid problems due to concurrent access
> to files.
For my case, this doesn't affect choice of cluster file system, since the locking
is taken care of by the NFSv4.1 server. You are, however, correct that it would be really
nice to have the NFSv4.1 server working more closely with Samba (or other open source CIFS
implementations) for the Windows op locks, etc.
Right now, the NFSv4.1 server can optionally grab POSIX style advisory locks on the underlying
file system so that Samba (and local syscalls) can see them.
It does nothing w.r.t. the Opens (which are basically Windows op locks, or whatever Samba calls them?

I'll admit I've avoided this, since I know nothing about Samba. (I'm only one retired guy doing this
in his spare time.) Soneday, it would be nice if someone who knows the Samba side could work on this?

rick