TRIM support (same bug as linux?)

Mark Saad nonesuch at longcount.org
Wed Sep 9 01:11:34 UTC 2015

> On Sep 8, 2015, at 7:42 PM, Steven Hartland <killing at multiplay.co.uk> wrote:
>
> Nope FreeBSD is not affected by this.
>
>> On 09/09/2015 00:15, FF wrote:
>> I'm asking a pretty vague question and I apologize in advance, not trying
>> to troll.
>>
>> The question has to do with whether FreeBSD is using TRIM the same way as
>> recent Linux kernels.
>>
>> https://blog.algolia.com/when-solid-state-drives-are-not-that-solid/ seems
>> to imply that there are instabilities that can occur. Trying to avoid
>> duplicating effort if this has already been addressed or if its a complete
>> dead alley because there isn't a commonality.
>>
>> Thanks in advance!

It would be interesting if anyone could explain the reasons why ufs/ffs and zfs  and FreeBSD are not effected by this issue .  My rudimentary understanding of the issue was that it's wasn't just a software glitch in the ext filesystem and bad firmware but a combination of that and Linux poorly supporting a ata modes that are not supported at all on FreeBSD .  Is that correct ?

---
Mark Saad | nonesuch at longcount.org