Prioritize resilvering priority

Gary Palmer gpalmer at freebsd.org
Wed Jul 22 00:32:20 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 04:06:05PM -0700, javocado wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How does one go about prioritizing the resilvering process so it does not
> overwhelm normal disk I/O on a FreeBSD (8.3amd) system?  Further, can this
> be altered in real time, or do the settings have to be in place prior to
> the resilvering even starting?

You don't state, but is this on ZFS?

I assume they're on 8.3 also, but look at settings like
vfs.zfs.resilver_min_time_ms and vfs.zfs.resilver_delay in sysctl.
Searching for resilver_min_time_ms and resilver_delay may give
some hints, e.g.

http://broken.net/uncategorized/zfs-performance-tuning-for-scrubs-and-resilvers/

does the opposite to what you want, but it should give hints.  Also

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/zfs-advanced.html

I think they're dynamic.  I tuned the scrub settings and they took effect
immediately.

Regards,

Gary