A question about ZFS built-in SMB

Marcus Reid marcus at blazingdot.com
Wed Jul 8 06:13:10 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jul 06, 2015 at 12:48:47AM -0400, Quartz wrote:
> On 2015-07-05 12:03 PM, Freddie Cash wrote:
> > SMB support is only built-in on Solaris derivatives. You need Samba on
> > everything else.
>
> On 2015-07-05 5:03 PM, Gary Palmer wrote:
> > The sharesmb option to zfs does not work on FreeBSD.  You need to use
> > Samba.
>

> Ok wait, it IS implemented on the Linux versions of ZFS. I thought the
> FreeBSD version of ZFS superseded all the features of the Linux port?

I don't think "superseded" is the word you were looking for.  FreeBSD
supports more feature flags:

  http://open-zfs.org/wiki/Feature_Flags

ZFS on Linux will apparently go out and modify Samba's smb.conf for
sharesmb functionality.  If this seems to be an acceptable approach,
I'll bet the code that does it wouldn't be too hard to port over or
reinvent.

Marcus